Published: 15:00 GMT Standard Time - Wednesday 12 January 2011
Christians slaughtered in Nigerian villages
Country/Region: Nigeria, Africa
Christian families were slaughtered when men armed with rifles and machetes attacked their village in the latest outbreak of anti-Christian violence in Nigeria’s "Middle Belt".
The site of anti-Christian violence
in a Nigerian village in early 2010
The brutal assault on Kuru Station, which is around 19 miles from the city of Jos, Plateau State, took place in the early hours of 11 January. Three homes were attacked with 13 people, including women and children, killed and at least three others injured.
The occupants were woken with gunshots and forced out of their homes, before being attacked with machetes. The houses were then set ablaze. Villagers said that soldiers were involved in the raid.
Another predominantly Christian village, Fagawon, was attacked shortly afterwards. Two people were killed and three houses and three motorcycles torched.
The attacks follow a series of violent incidents on Christmas Eve. Seven blasts in Jos killed 32 people and injured 74 more, following threats to disrupt festive celebrations in the area.
And six people were killed in attacks by suspected Islamists on two churches in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri. In one incident, a 30-strong mob of Muslim militants armed with guns, knives and petrol bombs killed five people, including the pastor and two choir members who were rehearsing for a late-night carol service. Another church in the city was attacked by three armed men, who murdered a security guard.
There have been long-running sectarian tensions in Nigeria’s Middle Belt, where the strongly Muslim North meets the predominantly Christian south. Plateau State was the scene of several horrific massacres of Christians last January and March.
- 1Barnabas Persecution Update 08 November 2012 - 2 years ago
- 2Barnabas Persecution Update 6 June 2014 - 2 months ago
- 3Prayer Focus 02/10 - 5 years ago
- 4Prayer Focus 04/09 - 5 years ago
- 5News in Brief: 4 June 2014 - 3 months ago
- 6Christian area in Northern Nigeria under siege by Boko Haram - 3 months ago
- 7Deadly suicide blasts in Nigeria as Boko Haram reasserts anti-Christian agenda - 3 months ago
- 8Over 100 killed in attacks on three Christian villages in Northern Nigeria - 5 months ago
- 9Christian village in Nigeria targeted by Boko Haram; over 100 dead - 6 months ago
- 10More Christians killed as violence rages on in Northern Nigeria - 6 months ago