More schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in Nigeria

1 March 2018

Share on

Nearly 100 schoolgirls were abducted by the Boko Haram terrorist group last weekend in an attack on a Government Science and Technical Secondary School in Dapchi, Bursari local government area of Yobe State.

The Yobe State police commissioner earlier said as at Tuesday night, twenty-four hours later: “Both the parents and the school authorities are doing a headcount.”

The commissioner explained that it was difficult to get immediate number because, “the school has up to 900 students, some of them are on farms, some of them have not resumed,” he added.

A community source however told Saharareporters that at least four bodies of students were recovered from the bush in the nearby town of Kusur.

Abdulmaliki had confirmed the kidnap of three men were in a nearby village after the attack on Dapchi.

One of the schoolgirls at the school during the attack said the girls were abducted “before many of us took to the bushes by scaling the perimeter fence of the school.” The schoolgirl said some of the girls were “being forced away by the armed gunmen.”

Aishatu Abdullahi, in the Senior Secondary section, said there was no security provided for the school and therefore the school was not protected. “I was in the school when the Boko Haram insurgents came at exactly the time we were preparing to break our usual Monday fast. They were shooting guns and everyone was confused, then we started running helter skelter but they were able to. We saw some people pushing some of the students to enter their vehicles,” Aishatu said.

“There were no soldiers at the time of the invasion. It was later after the principal placed a call that some soldiers came and then we began to see helicopter hovering around the village,” Aishatu added.

“Some of the other schoolgirls ran with some of our teachers to a house near the school. We saw the women in the house running away, but we had to enter and hide inside the house. All of us that escaped including our school principal, the vice principal and some other teachers stayed in the deserted house till morning,” Aishatu said.

The school has been closed as a result of the attack. “The school has given us one week to go home for a break; but in all honesty, I am not willing to come back here because we are scared of what could happen to us in the future.”

Global Christian News